The Northern Cultural Ambassadors Network is a resource aimed at building links between the educational sector and the cultural sector. The Network currently spans Newcastle, Gateshead and Northumberland and has the ability to expand across other Local Authority areas across the North East.
Membership of the network comprises over 500 Cultural Ambassadors, who are individuals based within a variety of settings from schools to FE colleges, youth and community settings, family learning organisations, Children’s Centres, Early Years providers, Charities, Looked After Child teams in Local Authorities and home educator networks. The Network also includes over 300 Cultural Partners, who are freelance artists, arts and heritage organisations and cultural venues, working in a wide range of art forms, through their own venues and in Ambassador settings.
Together the Cultural Partners and the Ambassadors form the membership of NCAN. To find out more about us watch this Prezi presentation.
The Network assists the membership to access creative learning opportunities and professional training and resources. It helps cultural professionals and organisations to target their offer to schools and youth settings via the Ambassadors, and tailor their creative learning provision to the needs and demands in the sector. It helps learning and caring professionals working in formal and informal education, community and youth settings to search for cultural activity, learning resources, design programmes and projects and research funding. The Network promotes national initiatives including Artsmark and Arts Awards.
Who We Are and What We Do
In order to develop and sustain a vibrant and successful network each geographic area has a dedicated Network Coordinator who will manage the network for their area. The Network Coordinator will advocate for and promote the network as a whole and provide unique opportunities that address the needs of the membership within their area.
The Network Coordinator will
- Act as the initial point of contact for the Network
- Coordinate events and networking sessions
- Coordinate termly mail outs to Cultural Ambassadors with offers and opportunities from Cultural Partners
- Signpost training and development opportunities for Ambassadors and Partners
- Populate the website with up to date information about national initiatives such as Arts Award, Artsmark and information from Bridge North East (The Sage Gateshead)
To join the NCAN membership Cultural Ambassadors and Cultural Partners agree to –
- Act as Ambassador for your setting by disseminating information to your peers and opportunities to your young people
- Keep profile page up to date with relevant information about your setting and interests
- Understand that the checking of CRBs, Public Liability Insurance and references of Cultural Partners is the responsibility of the Cultural Ambassador and that these checks should be undertaken prior to commissioning any work
- Regularly contribute to relevant ‘Groups’ and ‘Forums’ on the website
- Utilise the Members database to search for practitioners and cultural organisations and venues to work with
- Keep profile pages up to date with relevant information about your work, setting and opportunities available to Cultural Ambassadors
- Understand that they are required to provide a current CRB, Public Liability Insurance and References to Cultural Ambassadors prior to any work being commissioned
- Regularly contribute to relevant ‘Groups’ and Forums’ on the website
- Utilise the Members database to search for Ambassadors settings to work with
Meet The NCAN Team
JOANNE ANDERSON – Cultural Ambassadors Coordinator
VICTORIA ANDERSON – Cultural Ambassadors Coordinator