OPEN CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
December 20, 2016 News
To create quality permanent feature at a key location within Northumberland’s town of Bedlington. The artwork must both acknowledge the heritage of the town, whilst firmly looking to and celebrating the future for the Bedlington community. The artwork will help to create a sense of place and will welcome both residents and visitors alike to Bedlington. We would like to involve young people in the process.
Vision Leading Link has been appointed by a local County Councilor to deliver the commissioning of a new public feature for Bedlington.
To design a creative quality permanent feature at a key location within Bedlington, Northumberland. The artwork must both acknowledge the heritage of the town, whilst firmly looking to and celebrating the future of the Bedlington community. The artwork will help to create a sense of place and will welcome both residents and visitors alike to Bedlington.
Strategic Context A development plan to rejuvenate Bedlington Town is now in it’s planning stage and this feature may form part of this development
The innovative use of Public Art may include:
- landmark design to help create identity for the place
- build upon or interpret an aspect of the sites history
- even to help ‘sell’ the benefits of the development to the wider community
The strategy strongly seeks to –
“… encourage community involvement, as part of the development process of creating public art, this is a proven way of enabling communities to have a say and shape their environment, informing or educating people about a variety of issues, facilitating change in a given environment and encouraging community development. This involvement in artwork creation increases ownership, community policing and pride in the community itself.”
ARTWORK SPECIFICATION Features could include work that reveals elements of the history of the site such as reference to the Nail Industry, Steelworks, Steam trains, Coal and our Bedlington Terrier.
Not essential but the use of solar lighting would be welcome to give the feature a new dimension at night time.
The artwork will be permanent and therefore will need to be environmentally resistant as well as physically approachable so that it can be experienced close-up without being easy to climb, dislodge or otherwise damage.
A shortlist of 3 artists max will be selected from Expressions of Interest and will be invited to visit the site in January if required where you will also meet a group of young people to generate ideas.
- The proposed site is on a roundabout central to the town or in the center of the pedestrian square within the new development.
- The site is subject to underground searches and planning permission for the final artwork
- Close liaison with Highways authorities, County Councilor of the Ward, West Bedlington Town Council and Arch will be essential to the sign off of the detailed design for the artwork
- The identified sites are the strongly preferred options for the location of the artwork, however Artists are welcome to offer alternative suggestions regarding location for consideration by Leading Link and key stakeholders mentioned above.
Further Information A community film making project is being managed by Leading Link and will be delivered in parallel to this commission
OUTLINE PROCESS AND TIMEFRAME
- 5 December 2016 Call Out issued
- Thur 5th Jan 2017 – Deadline for Expressions of Interest
- Fri 6th Jan 2017 – Panel review the Long list of artists and select approx. 3 artists to invite for site visits and draw ideas from young people
- Thur 12th Jan 2017 Site visits by the artists
- Fri 27th Jan 2017 – Deadline for artists to send full written proposal with sketches and/or photographic mock-ups
- Mon 30th Jan – Panel (including young people) to select the artist April Artwork to be installed
4.BUDGET The total budget to realise the commissioned work is £10,000 (excl VAT) to include artist fee, materials, production and installation.
Please note; this does not include transport costs or the costs for foundations for the work which will be covered in addition to the above.
The shortlisted artists will be asked to provide a budget breakdown as part of their Proposal.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
At this stage we are looking for Expressions of Interest, which should include:
Details about your relevant previous work (including images)
Experience of working in and responding to public spaces and communities
Information about how you would respond to this commission, including initial ideas
Please send to: Lyn Horton, Manager, Leading Link
By email: email@example.com
By post: Leading Link, The Lodge, Bedlington, Northumberland NE22 6ED
Call: 01670 820088 or email with any queries
Deadline: 5th January 2017
All relevant Northumberland County Council policies and procedures will apply to this commission and any related work. All work will be subject to relevant permissions prior to implementation.
HEALTH & SAFETY / CHILD PROTECTION
Leading Links Heath & Safety and Child Protection Policy will be applied to this project as appropriate.
The artist will be required to provide detail of Public Liability and other relevant insurances as requested by Leading Link
Copyright in the designs and work will be retained by the Artist in accordance with The Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988.
Leading Link is committed to building an organisation that makes full use of the talents, skills, experience, and different cultural perspectives available in a diverse society. The aim of our policy is to ensure that at all stages of the recruitment, selection and employment process (including the artist commission process) we consider all applicants in fair and considered manner so that the most appropriate person is selected, regardless of age, colour, disability, gender, marital or family status, nationality or ethnic origins, race, religious belief or sexual orientation.
Leading Link’s Equal Opportunities Policy will be applied to this commission.