Shelter are closed for Housing Advice cases (as described below) until at least 04/12/23
The Legal Team are now open for new referrals, except defending possession proceedings where there are allegations of Anti-Social Behaviour, the Court Desk is open as normal so any case that has a court date can receive one off advice on the day of the hearing at the court. clients just need to attend with their documents on the day of the hearing where a legal adviser will be available.
At Shelter Norfolk, we have changed the ways that people get in touch with us for help on our main Norfolk Advice line. The new number is 03301 755 121.
For people needing advice:
- We are asking people to use our extensive online resources at Get help from Shelter - Shelter England- Shelter England in the first instance, which has all you need to know and more about housing advice! We know this won’t work for some people.
- People who live in the Kings Lynn and West Norfolk DC area only can also call 0344 515 1558 to speak to the local advice team.
Current referral criteria on the NCAN referral system:
- Legal Aid cases for Possession and Eviction, and Homelessness decision reviews, and serious disrepair where there is a risk of harm to health, and the person wants to stay and have it fixed, or illegal eviction.
- Housing Advice cases for written Housing Allocation Banding or Qualification Decisions, and complex Housing or Homelessness cases
- Debt Advice for Clients with Housing related Debt, Rent arrears, Council Tax arrears, Utility Bills.
- We cannot accept Social Prescribing cases directly (these are referred to the Living Well teams via the client’s GP and ICC’s only)
We can also offer free local community rights sessions for professionals and services users- i.e., our team will come in person and do a tailored presentation to your team or your service users on housing/ homelessness/housing register. Enquiries welcome via firstname.lastname@example.org
We are particularly interested in any cases where a client with multiple and complex needs is struggling with homelessness or inadequate housing, or cases where the private rented sector is totally failing a tenant (e.g. unaffordable, or awful conditions) or where someone is being excluded from the housing register, but still has a housing need.
Shelter also offers:
- Accredited Debt Advice. Including Debt Relief Orders and Bankruptcy advice for all of the Norfolk area.
*For people needing legal housing representation or advice:
- If you or your client is seeking urgent legal advice or representation at a court hearing to defend possession or eviction proceedings, or with challenging homelessness decisions by a Council and you would like to check whether your case could be eligible for Legal Aid, you can call our legal team on 0344 515 1721.
- You or your client can also email: email@example.com to make an appointment and send in the possession/eviction papers that you have received and need advice on.