Norwich Charitable Trusts

Norwich Charitable Trusts is a group of three grant-making charities and one Almshouse.

We have three independent grant-making charities under our Norwich Charitable Trusts umbrella. These are Norwich Consolidated Charities, Anguish’s Educational Foundation and the Norwich Freemen’s Charity. Each of these has a different geographical area of benefit and a different grant-making focus. Currently all applications must be made through one of our Grants Officers. You will find details of how to contact them below.

Doughty’s is an historic Almshouse which was founded in 1687 and is a part of Norwich Consolidated Charities.  We provide housing with extra care and support to older people in 57 modern, self-contained flats, with access to beautiful gardens and communal areas.  Our residents can choose to use various additional supporting services to meet their requirements and to continue to live independently in their own home at Doughty’s for as long as possible.

Norwich Consolidated Charities REFERRAL ACCEPTED THROUGH NCAN FROM Client Hardship Service Only

We consider grants to individuals with children for essential household items such as cookers, beds, washing machines and flooring. We are unable to help with regular household bills.  We welcome enquiries from people with children who have identified ways that they could escape poverty but need some financial support to achieve their goals.

We can also help with Bankruptcy or Debt Relief Order (DROs) fees if you are referred by one of our trusted partner organisations (please ask your debt advisor).

Who is eligible?

You are eligible to apply for a grant from Norwich Consolidated Charities if:

You pay council tax to/receive council tax benefit from Norwich City Council You have lived in Norwich for two or more years (unless exceptional circumstances apply) You are on a low income, whether working and/or receiving benefits, and You are not able to get help from the Norfolk Assistance Scheme.

Anguish's Educational Foundation (part of Norwich Charitable Trusts) REFERRALS ONLY ACCEPTED BY PHONE OR EMAIL

Service offer

We offer grants for school uniforms; help with residential school trips and grants to young people from low income families who are in Further or Higher education. We can consider other requests for support to help with educational needs.


We can only accept applications in respect of families who live in Norwich City, Catton, Corpusty, Costessey , Hellesden, Sprowston and Thorpe St Andrew. Applicants need to have lived in this area for at least two years unless they have come to Norwich as a consequence of leaving an abusive relationship, or have arrived as an asylum seeker or refugee- or other extenuating circumstances.

School uniform grants can only be granted once every two years, other than for children starting at High School.

  • Applicants need to complete an application form by requesting it from and also need to submit evidence of their income.


What we do

Norwich Freemen’s Charity considers financial support for freemen, their children, and widows/widowers. Provision includes:

  • Relief in Need grants for household items, repairs and such like;
  • Educational Grants
  • Pensions

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible to apply for a grant from Norwich Freemen’s Charity as an individual if:

  • You are a Freeman of the City of Norwich, or
  • You are the son or daughter of a Freeman of the City of Norwich, or
  • You are the widow or widower (by marriage or civil partnership) of a Freeman of the City of Norwich
  • And you are on a low income

How to apply

If you meet these criteria, please contact the grants team to request an application form by:



Telephone: 01603 621023 and leave a message

Please ensure we have you name, address and telephone number and specify the type of grant you would like to apply for.  We will send the relevant application form to fill out and return to us via email or by post.

You will also be asked to provide evidence of your household income to support your application. If you have a partner that lives with you full time, you will also need to provide evidence of their income.

Our address is:

Norwich Freemen’s Charity 1 Woolgate Court St Benedicts Street Norwich NR2 4AP

  • Sandra McAfee
  • 01603 621023
  • Norwich Charitable Trusts, 1 Woolgate Court, St Benedict’s Street, Norwich, NR2 4AP